Friday, December 26, 2008

Tomato Dosa - experimenting with food!



Dear reader,
Xmas vacations are a time for me to expand my cooking skills and try out new recipes. I am not much of a chef, per say, but I do experiment with things I feel meet my basic cooking skills. This new recipe - Tomato Dosa - was one among them. I am attaching an image of the dosa I ended up making. I had it with some spicy Karela gojju (the # 1 favorite dish on my list) for dinner tonight so thought of sharing the joy - and the recipe!




Ingredients:
1 cup raw rice (about 200 grams)
4 medium sized ripe tomatoes
4-5 long red chillies
Coconut - shredded or a can of coconut milk
Salt to taste


Method:
1) Wash and soak rice in water for about 2 hours.
2) Grind together - coconut, tomatoes and red chillies to a fine paste. Make sure there are no lumps.
3) Add rice slowly to this mixture and keep grinding until a fine batter is ready. Add salt to taste and grind it one more round.
4) This dosa is not like a rice dosa where it has to be turned to be cooked. So, ensure that the batter is a tad thin - but not too thin like Neeru Dosa either.
5) Pre-heat the pan with a little oil and ensure the pan is really hot.
6) Pour batter on it in circular motions. One swift motion recommended without spreading it around like a regular dosa.
7) Sprinkle a little more oil on it and cover it with a lid to let both sides cook for about 2-3 minutes.
8) Once done fold it carefully and put it on a plate. And thats it!


I am sure there are several variations for this that more experienced folks can accessorize with. For me, this was heaven considering I had it with Hagalkai Gojju!


Cheers,
ShaKri

0 reflections:

 
;